Philosophy of Indianhead Academy
Indianhead Academy was established to address the educational issues of students who have had difficulty with traditional education. The Indianhead Academy educational environment provides a small, caring, individualized and nontraditional approach to assist students in meeting their educational goals. Students accepted into the program must make a substantial commitment to complete their high school education. The program has established a teaching staff with small caseloads that set high expectations by holding students accountable to meet heir educational objectives and assists them in discovering the ways to achieve those expectations.
Indianhead Academy is a grade 9-12 program that is operated by the Weiser School District. It's purpose is to provide an alternative form of education for students who meet the program's eligibility criteria and are accepted by the program's admissions team. Students from neighboring school districts may make application to the program. Out-of-district students must also submit an Open Enrollment Form (available at the Weiser School District Office). The diploma granted through this program by the Weiser School District Board of Trustees is a 46 credit diploma that meets the criteria of the Idaho State Board of Education. Credits earned at IAHS can be transferred to any Idaho high school. Students also have to pass the Sate of Idaho graduation assessment at a proficient level and complete a senior project in order to graduate.
An at-risk student is any secondary student (grades 7-12) who meets any one (1) of the conditions numbered 1 through 7 below OR who meets any three (3) of the conditions in the bulleted list.
- Is pregnant or a parent
- Is a previous dropout
- Is an emancipated youth
- Is court or agency ordered to apply to the Academy
- Is recommended by the school district as determined by locally developed criteria for disruptive student behavior
- Has substance abuse behavior as verified by a medical professional or law
- Has serious personal, emotional, or medical problems
- Has repeated at least one grade
- Has absenteeism greater than 10% during the preceding semester
- Has a GPA less than 1.5 prior to enrolling in an alternative secondary program
- Has failed one or more academic subjects
- Is behind two or more semester credits per year of the rate required to graduate
- Is a limited English proficient student who has not been in a program more than three years.
IAHS Belief Statement for our Students (revised January, 2017)
Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make. Period.